The overall theme for the installation was various forms of violence and this theme was loosely split between the two spaces: the first room covered cultural, ecological and structural violence, while the gallery exhibited work that relate to physical violence.
Two rooms featured 13 pieces of work, one of which was a diptych. The first room was cleared for this installation only, and provided an intimate and harmonious space for the opening pieces of work. A projection screen was erected in this space, complementing the light boxes and regular large-sized prints, while shedding soft light into the room.
Hard lit photo projected on translucent screen juxtaposes with a sombre print.
The title image for the installation (7–30 August 2020).
The additional makeshift gallery space provided an adequate setting for prints and light boxes.
The translucent screen installed in the doorway gives an impression of looking out on the road.
Introduction text (Finnish and Swedish)
Photographs were illuminated in harmony with their subject.
Headphones for listening to the audio files accompanying the photographs.
This diptych connects two events at different points in time.
The second room was the actual Venetsia gallery, which has hosted monthly exhibits regularly since 2017. This space features a large opening into another room, which provided a marvellous place for a translucent screen and a large scale projection. The same wall in the gallery featured light boxes, thus contributing to a wall of light.
Rear-projected image on translucent fabric (approx. image w:190 h:250cm)
One gallery wall only featured backlit photographs, either on light boxes or projected to screen.
Conventional photographs were printed on photo matt paper 180gr and attached to 5mm Kapa lightweight board.
Light boxes provided a great way to use shadowed corners without additional lighting.
The title image for the hybrid-format conference contribution (31 July 2020).
The Venetsia building was erected in 1895 as bakery and laundry, and expanded in 1906 to house a small coal-fuelled power station for the hospital area. In the 1910s, a third floor was added to accommodate hospital service staff. During the war it was hit by shrapnel and until recently squatted. Today, it houses the gallery, an urban nature centre, art school, meditation space, as well as several work residences – and once again a bakery.